The John Mayer Silver Sky electric guitar is here at Guitar Center. Based on Mayer and Smith’s favorite elements from 1963 and 1964 instruments, The Silver Sky is an idealized version of an iconic vintage single-coil guitar. Featuring a snappy maple fingerboard and great-sounding pickups, this double-cutaway solidbody is ideal for players seeking classic single-coil tones and modern playability.
John Mayer Silver Sky Main Featuresl
• Gloss-finished, solid alder body with signature design elements • 25.5” scale maple neck with 22-fret, 7.25” radius maple fretboard • Custom John Mayer signature PRS single coils with 5-way blade switch • PRS-designed vintage-style steel-plate tremolo, PRS locking tuners
Upgraded PRS Tonewoods, Fit and Finish
Mayer choose alder for the body wood to give the Silver Sky plenty of resonance. Some of the more distinctive specifications include the headstock shape, which is based on PRS’s trademark design, but inverted to both accommodate Mayer’s playing style and also to keep a consistent length of string behind the nut, which makes staying in tune easier.
Silver Sky Neck Construction
The neck shape was modeled after 1963/1964 vintage instruments and the maple fretboard has a 7.25” radius, making it familiar to players of vintage instruments. The fretwire is slightly smaller than what you’d find on most PRS electric guitars, adding to its vintage guitar feel, and PRS’s double action truss rod is accessible from the front of the headstock for ease of use.
John Mayer Signature Electronics
The 635JM single-coil pickups are very round and full with a musical high end that is never “ice-picky” or brash. Connected to a 5-way switch, the SSS pickup configuration offers a variety of tonal options to suit players of blues, country, R&B and beyond.
Precision PRS Hardware
The bridge on the Silver Sky is setup flush to the body in the neutral position so that the tremolo bridge only goes down in pitch. By keeping the bridge in contact with the body, the guitar itself is acoustically louder, which improves the signal to noise ratio of the single-coil pickups.
Other high-quality specifications include retooled knobs and a molded metal jack plate that is curved and makes plugging and unplugging a guitar cable hassle-free. The tuners are a traditional vintage-style, closed-back tuner, but with PRS’s locking design. Like the tuners, the steel tremolo takes a classic design and incorporates PRS’s tremolo arm and Gen III knife-edge screws. Includes gig bag.
- Gloss-finished, solid alder body
- 25.5” scale maple neck with 22-fret, 7.25” radius maple fretboard
- Custom John Mayer signature PRS single coils with 5-way blade switch
- PRS-designed vintage-style steel-plate tremolo, PRS locking tuners
- Body shape: Double cutaway
- Body type: Solid body
- Body wood: Alder
- Body finish: Gloss
- Orientation: Right handed
- Neck shape: Custom signature
- Neck wood: Maple
- Joint: Bolt-on
- Scale length: 25.5 in.
- Truss rod: Dual-action
- Neck finish: Gloss
- Material: Msple
- Radius: 7.25 in.
- Fret size: Medium
- Number of frets: 22
- Inlays: Birds
- Nut width: 1.65 in. (42 mm) Bone
- Configuration: SSS
- Neck: Custom single-coil Artist Signature
- Middle: Custom single-coil Artist Signature
- Bridge: Custom single-coil Artist Signature
- Control layout: Master volume, tone 1, tone 2
- Pickup switch: 5-way
- Bridge type: Tremolo/Vibrato
- Bridge design: PRS plate-style
- Tuning machines: PRS locking
- Color: Nickel
- Number of strings: 6-string
- Special features: Signature model
- Orientation: Right handed
- Case: Gig bag
- Country of origin: United States